A fellow cyclist asked for details of our cold weather kit & tactics, so here goes...
First my 2 Cents worth on riding in the cold:
It's a fine line managing body temperature in cold weather. Wear too much and you sweat and get wet and then get very cold. And wet kit doesn't dry in cold conditions. Wear too little and you just stay cold.
Keep moving - make your toilet stops & snack breaks short and efficient. The cold really starts setting in when you are stationary. (Actually this a principal we follow in all our riding. It's amazing how much time gets wasted with stops and keeping these efficient can significantly improve your over all speed.)
You need a couple of different options for the cold to cater for the level of cold.
Start putting on warm gear before you get cold.
Buy good kit, yes it's expensive but it works & it lasts for many years & adventures.
The kit you buy does not have to be cycling specific just comfortable to cycle in and suitable for the weather conditions you are likely to encounter.
Waterproof kit is usually also warm so has a double function.
Last year we bought a hiking flask which we fill with hot water before heading out and we have some lightweight cups and instant cappuccino/hot chocolate sachets. The extra weight is definitely worth it (she says glibly as Dave always kindly carries the flask). A warm drink not only warms your body but also lifts the spirits significantly.
Unfortunately sometimes you will just be cold but hopefully the adventure you are on will make up for this discomfort.
Our Kit:
HEAD - I just use a normal buff under my helmet. If it gets really cold I put the hood of my jacket on under my helmet. I need to manage the hood very carefully as otherwise my head gets very hot and sweaty (hard boiled head!), which means a drop in my overall temperature.
Dave uses a lightweight beanie under his helmet. He will also put the hood of his jacket on. And in extreme cold will have a buff around his neck which he can pull up over his face. I personally don't like this option as it makes me feel claustrophobic and I don't like things around my neck or over my face.
SHIRT - I have a Kalenji long sleeve running shirt from Decathlon. It's slightly fleecy on the inside and I've found it to wick any sweat away from my body really well, keeping me mostly dry and nicely warm. It's also bright yellow so great if riding on the road to be visible.
Dave either uses a lightweight First Ascent long sleeve running shirt. (I had the Cape Storm ones but find they just don't keep me warm enough). Recently he has been wearing his usual short sleeve shirt (also a running shirt from Decathlon) with arm warmers.
JACKETS - We both have two jackets and use these according to how cold it gets.
A good quality windbreaker which is breathable and wicks moisture away. I have a First Ascent yellow jacket which I have had about 12 years and it's still going strong. One of the things I really like about this jacket is that it has a panel at the back that folds down exposing a mesh back. As I usually use a backpack my back can get quite sweaty and this really helps reduce that.
Dave has the equivalent Cape Storm one which is also about 12 years old and still going strong.
We then each have a good quality waterproof jacket. Keys in choosing this jacket is to make sure it has a high waterproof rating (minimum 10,000 mm) and breath-ability (minimum 8,000mm) rating and it is helpful if it has a hood.
I have a Marmot purchased in Australia - a gift from my brother in-law and a pretty raspberry colour.
Dave has a K-way expedition series jacket purchased from Cape Union Mart.
Both jackets have zips under the arms which helps significantly in reducing over heating and sweating. My hood folds into a pocket collar which is particularly useful on the bike to prevent having it flap about when not being used.
PANTS - Normal cycling shorts. I use shorts, Dave uses bibs. I find bibs are just too much admin on the trail particularly when you have several layers on. And cold weather makes me wee a lot!!
I have a pair of Nike running tights - I like the fabric of these as they are not the usual shiny lycra but more like a good quality T-shirting which has a warm feel. Dave uses Giordana leg warmers. I like the extra warmth that tights give covering my butt rather than just my legs. Leg warmers can easily be pushed down round your ankles if it starts warming up until a convenient time to stop and remove them which like tights requires removing yours shoes to get them off.
Waterproof pants - the pants we had have come to the end of their life span and are no longer available which is very sad since they were exceptional for warmth and waterpoofness. We have just purchased K-way expedition series waterproof pants (they only make a mens cut but the fit seems ok for me). We haven't had an opportunity to test these out yet but if Dave's jacket is anything to go by I expect they will keep us warm and dry. How comfortable they will be for riding in is yet to be established - they are not cycling specific. The legs are quite wide round the ankle and I have made some velcro straps to hold this in to avoid catching on the chainring. The advantage of the wider leg is that you can put them on and remove them without taking off your shoes. I figured in very extreme cold I can wear my tights underneath these.
(When shopping for waterproof pants Helly Hansen had some very nice ladies specific waterproof pants but didn't have stock in my size)
GLOVES - Again a couple of options. Both of us have standard long fingered gloves for normal cool weather. We also have glove liners which fit underneath for added warmth. Just need to be careful that these two layers are not too tight as it cuts the blood flow and makes your hands feel cold.
We then have waterproof gloves. I have Sealskinz which work well for me - a lot of people don't find them warm enough though. Dave has First Ascent ski gloves. The liners can also be used underneath the waterproof gloves in extreme cold.
FEET - This one is problematic for me and I've yet to find a good solution. I have a 2nd pair of cycling shoes (Shimano MTB trail shoes) which are a size bigger than my normal size to allow for space for thick socks. Waterproof socks are a good investment as they do keep your feet dry in the event of a water crossing or rain.
I have used sealskinz in the past and they are very waterproof but don't keep my feet warm even with wool liners. I recently purchase a pair of Dex Shell medium weight merino wool waterproof socks and they also don't keep my feet warm. On last year's 1000 Miler I used some neoprene booties/over shoes and these did improve my feet comfort significantly. They are very difficult to get on and off though and are no good for races/events that entail any walking. I do suffer from cold feet generally and continue to search for a solution.
Dave has sealskinz for extreme cold and wet. He doesn't have any issues with cold feet and will just wear a standard sock most of the time.
This is a lot of kit and we don't carry all of this all the time. In multi day races in winter we will carry all these options but on single day local rides will make a call from the weather report and knowledge of the area we will be riding in.
No comments:
Post a Comment